Sometimes we are troubled by the amount of spam emails we get in our inbox. Where do they come from?
Study says, in most of the cases we help the spammers unknowingly to send us more spams. If we follow some simple rules, it would help us at the end of the day. Though it may not stop the spams completely, but it will reduce them significantly.
Let's discuss a few of them.
As I said, no technique is a complete solution for preventing email spam. There is always a trade off between rejecting legitimate emails and not rejecting all spam. But if we can follow some simple rules, we can at least reduce the problem a bit.
Techniques of preventing email spams
Please find some simple techniques below, which can help in preventing email spam:
- Share your email address only among limited group of correspondents.
- Avoid forwarding emails to recipients who do not know each other. It is a good practice to keep all the recipient in 'bcc' field. This can avoid the scenario where an unscrupulous recipient may compile email addresses for spamming purpose.
- Posting anonymously or with fake name and email addresses can prevent email address harvesting. But make sure, used email address is not valid at all.
- If you are posting your email address in web site, make sure at least some part of the email address is readable only by human beings. For example, if the email address is email@example.com, you can write it as john [AT] example [DOT] com. This can prevent automated email harvesters from collecting email addresses in automated way.
- Avoid responding to spam, not even “Do not spam me.” Replying to spam emails can confirm the spammers that the email address is valid.
- By default disable HTML in email. Spam written in HTML can contain web bugs which can confirm the spammers that the email address is valid, when the receiver opens the email with HTML enabled.
- If you have to give a valid email address to a website without getting proper assurance that it won't be used for spamming purpose, use disposable email address.
- Using tarpits like greylisting or greeting delays can be an effective method of preventing email spams. An email administrator can do that.
As I said earlier, there is no complete solution of email spams, but if you follow the simple rules stated above, perhaps it will help us a lot !
How to prevent phishing ?
How to prevent ransomware ?
How to prevent spyware ?
How do attackers spread malware using drive-by download ?
What is firewall and how does it work ?
What is a Trojan Horse and how can we prevent it ?
How to create a strong password ?
How do attackers use spambots to send spams ?